Tuesday, October 13, 2015

"Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell

I saw mini reviews of "Fangirl" posted around Instagram I liked the cover, and people seemed to really appreciate the story, so I picked it up from my local library!
Image via Goodreads

Summary:  Cath is your average 18 year old on the cusp of college...well, average if you're afraid of change, confused by normal social interactions and obsessed with a boy wizard.  (So in my experience, average.)

"Fangirl" is about a girl who goes to college for the first time and finds herself totally out of her element.  Cath starts off alone, intimidated by her new life and a little scared to take the next step into adulthood.  She'd be just fine back at home, sharing her bedroom and her love of Simon Snow fanfiction with her twin sister, keeping track of her depressed dad, and eating from every taco truck in sight.

But college forces everyone to grow up, whether they're ready or not.

Cath soon finds herself making friends with her kinda-scary roommate, co-writing a story with a kinda-cute guy from her creative writing class, and learning about herself outside of her role as twin sister, daughter, and superstar fanfic writer.  Oh, and she meets a man.

My Thoughts:  Good books take the reader through a range of emotions as the story progresses.  "Fangirl" was no different.

I started out uncomfortable, possibly because Cath hits a little too close to home.  She's so anxious about starting college that she spends all her time in class or hiding out in her room.  Going to the cafeteria in her dorm or talking to her roommate are too much for her.  I can relate to this, as my own freshman (and sophomore....and junior) years were quite similar.  Because of my personal experience, and because I know what it's like on the other side, I was uncomfortable and at times disappointed in Cath for letting her anxiety keep her from meeting people and experiencing new things.

As Cath branches out beyond her dorm room, I got more comfortable with the story and started to revel in Cath's quirkyness.  Cath is unashamed of her obsession with the wildly popular Simon Snow series.  She revels in total lack of desire to party with her sister.  And she loves a good hipster sweater.  While Cath has a penchant for crying that occasionally made me want to punch her in the face, her quick comebacks and good heart kept me cheering her on.

Then there is sadness.  So much sadness.

And then there is the ending.  But you'll have to read the book to find out if it's happy or not.

Rating:  I recommend it, and I'll read it again.

Also Read By:  None, but I'll check out more by Rainbow Rowell

Reviewed By:  Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment