Tuesday, December 23, 2014

"When Christmas Comes" by Debbie Macomber

I picked this book up at my local library's seasonal section.  The book jacket mentioned that it was a Christmas romantic comedy, so I was game to give it a shot.  The I remembered.  Oh Debbie Macomber.  How I forget that your books are written for maiden aunts and sweet Grandmas until I'm at page 50.  And by then I feel committed and just can't quit.

Edited to add:  Rumor (aka Google) tells me that this book has been turned into a movie.  Lord help me, but I have an urge to watch it.

Summary:  When Emily's daughter Heather tells her she's not able to home for Christmas, Emily decides to bring Christmas to Heather.  Using an internet house-swap site, Emily trades homes with a stodgy Harvard professor who wants to avoid the distraction of Christmas all together.

As luck would have it, Emily arrives in Boston to find out that her only daughter has taken off on a motorcycle trip to Florida with her boyfriend and she'll be spending her favorite holiday alone after all.  When Charles Brewster arrives at Emily's home, he's shocked to find that the small town of Leavenworth isn't the small prison town he thought, but Santa's village come to life, complete with sleigh rides, carolers and Christmas lights galore.  Christmas is ruined for both Emily and Charles.

Or is it?  The magic of Christmas has a way of bringing the unexpected to even the most loneliest of Christmases.

What I Liked and What Drove Me Nuts:  I did not like nor dislike this book.  In fact, I feel almost nothing for it.  The plot was sweet and the author had some funny ideas.  In fact, I'd say that this book is perfect for sweet Grannies who like to bake, attend church and don't quite understand modern culture or kids these days.  The characters are all a bit proper and the plot is shiny and pure without a spot of mystery or smut in sight.  There were a few funny moments in the story that I appreciated: a situation with a goat, some sassy elves and adults sledding.  But that was it, and it wasn't enough for me.

Rating:  This book is one of those that tells the reader what happens instead of showing them, and for that I can't recommend it.  This book reminds me of something my Grandma would read.  She's in her eighties, if that gives you any insight.

Reviewed By:  Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment