Tuesday, December 10, 2013

"The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

This book showed up on my goodreads recommendation page so I decided to pick it up at the library.  It sat on my nightstand for a week before I cracked the cover.  But once I did...I couldn't put it down!


Summary:  Sixteen year old Hazel meets seventeen year old Augusts in the basement of a church.  Almost immediately Hazel and Augustus feel a connection that bonds the two strangers into best friends and eventually soul mates.  Unfortunately Augustus has cancer.  As does Hazel.  And it's terminal.  "The Fault in Our Stars" is a breathtaking love story about two teens who are wise beyond their years due to the tragic circumstances of their illnesses.

What I Liked:  I thoroughly enjoyed this short, easy read.  The dialog was witty and well written, feeling entirely realistic for kids that illness matured a bit too early.  Almost every character was likeable.  Hazel and Augustus are clearly underdogs in the rough game of life, but you never pity them even during the most heartbreaking scenes.  The story was romantic yet tragic.  The author doesn't cheapen the love story because the characters are teens.


What Drove Me Nuts:  As much as I enjoyed this book, there was one huge plot point that made me sick to my stomach:  Hazel and Augustus, two sweet, likable, fantastic characters have cancer.  Cancer!  The reader knows that Hazel's illness is terminal almost from the beginning of the story, so when she meets and falls in love with Augustus, it's with a somewhat sick feeling that we turn the page.

And don't even get me started on the ending.

Rating:  Read this book.

Also Read:  Nothing yet, but I'll definitely pick up other books by John Green.

Reviewed By:  Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment