Tuesday, December 29, 2015

"Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin

I was introduced to this story through the television show and was looking for a way to try my library's ebook checkout system. I saw this title right away and knew it would be a good read. I downloaded it and read it like an ordinary ebook, but the special library app made sure I "returned" it at the end of the allotted time. 

Summary: In the land of Westeros there are seven kingdoms united together under one king. Each region is ruled by a powerful family and is divided again among lesser lords. What makes this story exciting is that political power ebbs and flows from lord to lord depending on hundreds of decisions, strategies and plots.

This book spends most of it's time centered around Ned Stark and his family. He is the Lord of Winterfell and was critical in helping the king gain the throne from the Mad King who was so horrible that one of his own guards finally killed him. After some key battles were won, King Robert was crowned. And now the king's highest adviser is dead, so Ned has been asked to replace him. As Ned learns more and more about what is happening in the capital, it looks worse and worse.

Every piece is moving in this chess game and there is no way to anticipate how it will all play out. Those of you who have seen the show, it is basically the same story as season one. The big difference with the book is that you get to spend a lot of time inside the head of each character, watching them analyze their situations and weigh the pros and cons of action. In the show you see what they do, but in the book you read why they do it.

What I Liked: I loved the show, and I am glad that the book has the same feel without making me feel like I have to say one is better than the other. Both are amazing.

What I Didn't Like: I'm not sold on the library ebook system. I still can't get over the idea that my software is due back so that someone else can read it.

Rating: Must Read.

Also Read by this Author: None.

Reviewed by: Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment