Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"The Collector" by Nora Roberts

Did you know that I'm a sucker for a good romance novel?  It's true, they've been my [not so] guilty pleasure since middle school.  Whenever I want something that isn't too deep and will be sure to have a happy ending, I check out the latest in the romance section at my local library.  And while my tastes have changed from medieval bodice rippers to more contemporary fiction, I'll always have a soft spot for a good old love story.


Summary:  Lila Emerson has a fascinating life.  By day Lila supports herself via house sitting for the ultra rich and writing supernatural teen fiction.  By night she pulls out her binoculars and takes a peek or two into the fascinating world of New York's elite apartment buildings.  She isn't spying, so much as letting her imagination run a little wild as she makes up stories about each apartment's occupants.  One night as Lila is peeping from window to window she see's a passionate fight in one of her regular windows that soon turns deadly.  In shock, Lila calls the police to report what she saw.  The next day she meets the handsome, rich, overbearing Ashton Archer and finds herself sucked into the mysterious world of high art, love and murder.

What I Liked:

  • One of the things I find that Nora Roberts does so well is to make the world in which her characters live believable and sympathetic.  "The Collector" is about very rich people doing very bad things with a little love and who-done-it thrown in the mix.  Normally I would roll my eyes after the first few chapters, but the characters ended up so likable that I kept with the story even though I personally have a hard time relating (or aspiring) to the filthy rich.
  • "The Collector" felt like a hybrid between Robert's "In Death" series and her usual stand alone romances.  The plot held gruesome murder in which no one was safe, truly evil bad guys and an interesting mystery.  It also stuck to Robert's usual formula for romance:  woman meets man, instant attraction, beginning of a new relationship, big fight, dramatic scene, happy ever after.  It's that last bit I like the best.  There's enough sad in the world that sometimes you just want happy at the end.
What Drove Me Nuts:
  • It took me a lot longer to get into this book than it does a usual Roberts romance.  I had a hard time relating to the characters (super rich and sexy with ultra unique jobs) and didn't feel like Roberts gave them quiet enough depth to be totally believable.  I'm not sure if this is because my life has changed so much in the last year or so that I no longer relate to the single and looking or if I'm just falling out of another romance phase.
  • Parent issues.  We all have them, but it seems like one out of every three of Robert's heroines has parent issues.  I'm ready for someone well adjusted and normal.  Thanks in advance. ;-)
  • I recently finished Robert's "The Art of Deception", one of her first forays into writing and found the heroes a little too similar.
Rating:  I hate to say it, but skip this one.  Robert's has written much more engaging stand alone romances, and if you're looking for one, I suggest you try Whiskey Beach.  You'll get murder and art, but also much more engaging characters.

Also Read By This Author:  I've read almost all of Robert's catalog, which you can find at her website.  You can check my other reviews on Robert's books by searching for Nora Roberts in the quick search on the right hand side of the page, or by clicking individual links here:  Shadow Spell   |   Dark Witch   |   Thankless in Death   |   Concealed in Death

Reviewed By:  Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment