Tuesday, September 24, 2013

"Ravenor" by Dan Abnett

I have been a fan of the Warhammer 40k sci-fi universe for several years now. I am currently the Game Master of a weekly Dark Heresy game (think D&D in space) which takes place in this setting. So when I saw this book on the thrift store shelf I knew I had to read it.

Summary: This book follows Inquisitor Ravenor, a crippled psyker who uses his mind-bending powers to investigate serious crimes in the dreary Imperium of Man. He has a team of highly trained Acolytes who help him in his work and he commands them through telepathy. Ravenor discovers a drug-dealing cartel and believes it is more than simply a supply-chain for despairing addicts. He believes the 'flects' have a sinister origin, tainted by forbidden xenos. He directs his team through the dangerous criminal underworld and discovers a conspiracy beyond just the flects. There is a lot of gun-fighting and detective work on futuristic worlds and starships with epic environments that stretch the imagination. 

What I Liked: Abnett has a mind for adventure, knowing how to pace a story so that it is always interesting, but not overwhelming. He also has an attention to detail that lets the reader know he is not just improvising the plot to make it end up how he wants. I also like the feel of the Warhammer 40k universe, which Abnett is famous for portraying very well.

What I Didn't Like: Honestly, not much. I felt like an idiot when I realized some of the characters had already been introduced in the Eisenhorn series, which I have not read yet, but I don't think that detracted any.

Other Books Read by This Author: Gaunt's Ghosts (which I recommend)

Reviewed by: Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment