Tuesday, February 9, 2016

"The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan

I saw this audiobook on the shelf at the library and decided to give it a shot. Guillermo Del Toro has created some movies I really liked and I decided even though I didn't think of him as an author, I'd give it a shot. 

Summary: This story builds up in the manner of an X-Files episode. An airplane has landed at JFK without any hiccups, but once it was on the ground the pilots stopped responding on the radio. It quickly becomes clear that something horrible had happened and Eph Goodweather is responsible for figuring out what.

As the story develops we learn that a powerful vampire was on board and everyone he bit is coming back as ghouls. Eph is with the CDC and so his team and partners play a large role trying to determine the facts of the case. We also meet Vasiliy Fet, a strong-willed exterminator trying to explain the strange behavior of rats as he explores the tunnels. And Abraham Setrakian, an elderly pawnshop owner who knows more than he should.

What I Liked: I love investigation style stories, especially when they take a real-world career and pit it against a strange new enemy. This one unfolds nice and slowly to really bask in it. Eph is a great character that is very likable despite his flaws, perfect for the role of protagonist. Ron Pearlman was a perfect choice for the audiobook.

What I Didn't Like: Vampires are not my favorite monster. I prefer zombies and other pandemic style threats over specific individuals with superpowers, and so I was hoping that the strain in the title would play a larger role that would overshadow the vampire element.

Rating: Recommended.

Also Read by this Author: None.

Reviewed by: Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment