Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"The Two Towers" By JRR Tolkien

I read this book in middle school, and got half way through the Two Towers. I stopped because I found it depressing and the elven was unintelligible, but now that I am an adult nerd, I feel like I should have all four of them under my belt, and not just the movies. At the library I saw all four in audiobook format and decided I could finally finish the series. 

Summary: This story begins right where The Fellowship of the Ring leaves off. At this point in the story, the fellowship is broken. Frodo and Sam go off one way, Merry and Pippin are kidnapped by the enemy and the the rest of the party ends up plotting a rescue. Merry and Pippin get free and hide in the forest, only to discover it is the home of the Ents, treelike beings that care for the woods. The Ents are not fond of hurrying and take their time in all things, but the growning danger from Saruman is enough to mobilize them under the leadership of Treebeard. They go to Isengard assault the walls.

Aragorn and company meanwhile search for the two hobbits and eventually find Gandalf, which they had thought dead. Together they go to the king of Rohan and argue with him, trying to make him see the looming dangers.

The other two hobbits, Frodo and Sam, are now alone as they march toward Mordor. They are intensely aware that no one is going to help them through the hardest part of their journey, but they are able to manipulate Gollum into working for them at times, as Gollum respects the Ring and fears what might happen to it if he does not cooperate.

What I Liked: I like that it continues the story and gives more depth to the world of Tolkien. There is a feel of greatness in the comings and goings of Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf and the others. 

What I Didn't Like: When I was in middle school I read this book halfway. It just became too hard to get excited about it, the whole story felt bogged down. Listening to it as an audiobook is the only way I got through. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what stopped me, but there is a certain sort of depression that feels overly reaching when it is proclaimed by kings and wizards mourning the passing of an age. It feels a little forced.

Rating: Read it as part of the series.

Also Read by this Author: The Hobbit. The Fellowship of the Ring

Reviewed by: Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment