Tuesday, September 8, 2015

"Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty

I picked up this book because of instagram - people were raving about it without giving any detail on what it's about.  I'm going to do the same below. (Kidding!)
image via goodreads

Summary:  Madeline is outspoken, glamorous and a fierce mother of three.  Celeste is beautiful, rich, and just a little frazzled with wild twin boys.  Jane is scared and shy, a single mom in a new town.  The one thing all three women have in common: five-year-old children starting Kindergarten in the new school year and personal issues they want to avoid.

Madeline's ex-husband has moved back in town and is slowly stealing their daughter away.  Celeste's marriage isn't what it seems.  And Jane?  Well, Jane is just trying to figure out what steps to take next.

And then Kindy Orientation day arrives and a school yard accusation sets so much drama into motion that lives are ruined.  Literally.

My Thoughts:  This book tickled all my fancies - a murder mystery (that was a true mystery...we didn't even know who died until the very end), characters with personalities ripped from Real Helicopter Parents of Australia, and a masterfully crafted plot that had me roaring with laughter and shaking with rage from one minute to the next.

I could go on and on (and on) about why everyone should read this book.  But I've got to wake up with the baby tomorrow, so I'll keep it short and give you my three favorite aspects of "Big Little Lies":

I loved Madeline, even though I didn't always agree with her actions.  She's a delightful mix of fierce loyalty and brash tempter that is completely unapologetic and enormously delightful.  From her interactions with her husbands and children to her antics with the other school yard mom's, Madeline is a lead character I can understand and root for.

I also really enjoyed the way the book was put together.  The murder mystery unfolds told from the point of view of Madeline, Celeste and Jane, interwoven with random one-liners from the other Kindergarten parents.  You learn the hearts of the three main characters, but also see them as others in the book do - flaws and all.

Lastly, I was really impressed with the way Moriarty intermingled classic chick lit drama with some pretty serious themes.

Rating:  Oh, calamity!  (You'll get it when you read it.)  I'd definitely read this one again.

Also Read By:  Nothing, but you bet I'm going to read every other book Liane Moriarty has written.

Reviewed By:  Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment